Thun Castle

Berchtold V, Duke of Zähringen (1160 – 1218) built the donjon in 1200, which can be seen from afar in the core of an older castle site. The history of the region as for the changing exhibitions about historic sites and current topics are shown on the five floors of the donjon and in the special exhibition room.

The reception of the museum is in the „New Castle“. It is from there that you enter either through the special exhibition or directly from the cellar with the new permanent exhibition in the donjon. The visitor leaves the castle through the medieval Great Hall after having enjoyed the exhibition on the top floors and the wonderful view from the turrets.




Castle, town and country – 900 years of town development, the new exhibition about the history of the town of Thun.

1st floor

Trophies, insignia and relics – treasures from the Thun town hall collection

2nd floor

From the Zähringers to the Bernese – 800 years of governors in the Thun Castle

3rd floor

The Grand Hall is one of the biggest and well-preserved halls of the Middle Ages in Switzerland.

4th floor

‘Thun in the 19th century – Tourism and the Army influenced the development of the town of Thun and the Region.

5th floor

The roof truss is erected in three levels. A majority of the wood dates back to the time around 1434.


The visitor reaches the four turrets via the roof truss and can enjoy a wonderful view of Thun, the lake and the Alps.